Obtaining an Irish driving license involves two essential steps.
- Step 1: Pass the theory test to acquire a learner’s license.
- Step 2: Pass the practical driving test to obtain a full license.
Driving Theory Test:
The test format comprises 40 multiple-choice questions, where the answers are indicated with a square box next to them, and you select one by ticking it. To pass the test, you need to score a minimum of 35 marks.
How to Book Theory Test?
To schedule your theory test, please follow these simple steps:
- Visit https://theorytest.ie/ and click on “Book Your Theory Test.”
- Select the “Car/Bike” option.
- Read all the requirements and details listed on the page carefully. Please note that you will need your PPSN number before applying.
- Scroll down and click on “Book Test.”
- Provide your consent and follow the instructions to book your test at your preferred location and time.
- You will get your result the same day.
How to prepare for the theory test?
Preparing for the theory test is possible through either paid or unpaid online resources. For a paid option, it’s advisable to download the official app from the official designated website here For free preparation, you can access online resources such as https://www.theorytest-ireland.com/driving-theory-test/car or http://theory-tester.com/. Please note that paid services are recommended, as the questions are regularly updated to reflect any changes in the test.
How to apply for Learner permit?
Once you have passed the theory test, you will need to apply for a learner permit card. You can do this online or at an NDLS centre. Here are the steps:
To apply online via MyGovID:
- Visit https://www.ndls.ie/ and click on “Learner Driver and My First Learner Permit.”
- Read through the requirements and click “Apply Online.”
- You will be redirected to the MyGovID login page. Please note that you will need a verified MyGovID to apply online. If your MyGovID is not verified, verify it before applying online. You need a Public Service Card to get it verified.
- For details on how to verify your MyGovID, visit https://www.mygovid.ie/.
To apply in person:
- Click “Apply in Person” just below “Apply Online” on the same website.
- Check all the requirements and book an appointment at an NDLS centre.
- To get an eye report, download the form from the same website and get it signed by an approved GP/doctor or optometrist.
You will get your learner Permit in 1-2 weeks time via post.
Driving Practical test:
Once you obtain your learner’s permit, you are required to complete 12 lessons with a registered and trained driver. After six months of holding your learner’s permit, you may then apply for the practical driving test.
All about driving lessons!
To learn how to drive a car, you should take in Essential Driver Training (EDT), also known as car driving lessons. It is essential to take lessons only from Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs). You can check for ADIs in your local area to find a suitable instructor. During your lessons, your instructor will upload your progress onto the MyEDT portal. To monitor your progress, you will need a MyGovID account to access the MyEDT portal. The portal is user-friendly and allows you to track your progress by ticking off the completed steps as you take your lessons.
6 Lesson/6 Months Exemption Rule:
If you hold a foreign driving license, you may be exempt from the 6-lesson and 6-month rule when applying for an Irish learner permit. The following conditions apply:
- You must hold a foreign driving licence.
- You must have held a licence for at least two years prior to the issue of your Irish learner permit.
- Your licence must not have expired more than six months on the date of receipt of the application form.
- You must be a resident of Ireland.
- You must hold an Irish learner permit.
How to apply Exemption:
Read about reduced essential driver training(EDT) and how to apply here
How to book Practical Driving Test?
Once you have completed all your driving lessons and they have been uploaded onto the portal, you can then proceed to apply for your practical driving test. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Log in or sign up using your verified MyGovID or register your details with the RSA.
Step 2: Choose the vehicle category
Step 3: Scroll down to the driving test step and click on ‘book a driving test’.
Step 4: Select your preferred test centre. If there are no available appointment slots, you can click on ‘join waiting list’.
Step 5: When appointment slots become available at your selected test centre, you will receive an email invitation to book a driving test.
Watch this detailed video if you have any queries regarding booking your test.
Expedite your Practical Driving Test:
If you are unable to secure a date for your practical driving test, you may request an expedited test as a doctor. Currently, emergency driving test appointments are only available to critical frontline workers, including those employed by the HSE, private hospitals, or emergency services, who require a valid driving license as part of their job.
Request an emergency driving test here. Make sure you get an official letter from hospital HR for this to upload.
How to apply for Full Driving License.
To apply for your driving license via NDLS, you will need to use your MyGovID. After logging in, follow the steps to complete the application process. You will also need to upload your certificate of competency, which you will receive on the day you pass your driving test. To apply for your full driving license online, visit the link provided, and watch the instructional video before submitting your application. Alternatively, you can apply for your license in person. Visit the same website and read the guide on how to do so.
- Once you receive your learner driving permit, remember to display the L sticker on your car.
- Do not drive unassisted if you do not hold a full driving license.
- When you pass your practical driving test, display the New Driver (N) sticker on your car for two years.
- Always wear your seatbelt while driving and ensure all passengers do the same.
- Observe the speed limit and adjust your speed according to weather and road conditions.
- Keep a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you to allow for sudden stops or turns.
- Avoid distractions such as texting or using your phone while driving.
- Never drink and drive, and never get into a car with someone who has been drinking.
- Always signal before turning or changing lanes, and check your mirrors and blind spots.
- Finally, remember to drive defensively and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Following these tips can help ensure a safe and enjoyable driving experience for everyone on the road.
- Cricket Bating Tips
- Cricket Batting Tips
- Cricket Run Rate
- India Real Money Games
- Betln Exchange
- Betline Exchange
- Skyexchange.com Apk
- Exchange Online
- Exchange 567
- Reddit Cricket
- Cricket New Hindi
- Cricket Rules In Hindi
- Bhartiya Mahila Cricket Team Ke Bare Mein Batao
- Cricket Ko Hindi Me Kya Kehte