GP Training in Ireland: The Recruitment Process for GP Training 2024
If you’re aspiring to become a General Practitioner (GP) in Ireland, the journey begins with the GP Trainee Recruitment process. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the key details of the recruitment process for the 2024 intake, including important dates, tests, and eligibility criteria.
The Recruitment Process
The recruitment process for GP Training 2024 will consist of two main stages:
Application Part A: SJT & CPST
- Commencement Date: Monday, 02 October 2023
- Purpose: This stage allows doctors interested in the recruitment process to apply for the Situational Judgement Test (SJT) and clinical Problem-Solving Test (CPST).
Application Part B: Eligibility Assessment
- Eligibility Criteria: Doctors who meet the minimum standard criteria in the SJT & CPST tests will proceed to this stage.
- Purpose: This part of the application is for doctors who meet the initial testing criteria and wish to continue their application process.
The SJT & CPST Tests
SJT (Situational Judgement Test)
- Date: Thursday, 26th October 2023
- Time: 10 am – 10 pm (Live Test)
- Test Duration: Approximately 3 hours
- Format: The SJT assesses attributes such as professionalism, empathy, coping with pressure, and integrity without measuring clinical knowledge.
- Scenarios: Approximately 40 scenarios and applicants must select the most appropriate action in each situation.
- Scoring: Scores are used to shortlist candidates for interviews and in the final ranking process.
CPST (Clinical Problem-Solving Test)
- Test Duration: Approximately 45 minutes
- Format: The CPST assesses clinical knowledge and consists of approximately 30 single-best-answer (SBA) questions.
- Purpose: To ensure candidates have the necessary clinical knowledge and skills required for training.
- Scoring: Applicants must select the single most appropriate response to each clinical scenario.
Prepare for SJT & CPST from GPQuestPro Question Bank.
To be eligible for the 2024 recruitment process, candidates must meet specific criteria:
- Successful completion of SJT & CPST tests.
- Meeting the Irish Medical Council (IMC) eligibility criteria for entry onto the Trainee Specialist Register.
- Meeting the HSE English language competency requirements.
Applicants must provide the necessary documentation as part of their application. Detailed information can be found on the official website.
Key Dates & Events
Visit the ICGP website for Key Dates and Events here.
Detailed Person Specification
Read about the 2024 person specification here.
Your journey to becoming a General Practitioner starts here. Prepare diligently, meet the criteria, and make your mark in the world of medicine. Good luck!
Source: ICGP Website